Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas Cash 2012: Day One

So I saw this fantastic idea from i am THAT lady that she calls Operation Christmas Cash 2012 and I'm hooked.  Basically the concept is to use various sources such as rewards websites like Swagbucks and MyPoints, survey websites such as Synovate, daily deal sites such as Groupon and Living Social and an annual garage sale (which I do anyway!) to accumulate funds and great deals throughout the year in preparation for Christmas 2012.  Since we all know that Christmas happens on the same day every year yet fail to save in advance I'm determined to stick with it throughout the year and try to avoid the crazy credit card bill I got this year.

I started out by opening an ING online checking account based on the deal that Couponing to Disney posted offering a $50 bonus if you sign up for a free Electric Orange account.  Follow these steps:
  • Go here and click on Apply Now
  • Open an ING Direct Electric Orange Account. There is no minimum to open the account but you want to put in at least a few dollars so you can make some purchases.
  • You will need to make a total of 3 debit card purchases or Person2Person Payments (or any combo of the two) within 45 days of account opening
  • Your $50 bonus will be deposited on day 50 and ready to withdrawal!
Now I've only ever heard great things about ING and have actually wanted to open an account with them for ages but have been putting it off.  I used this offer, titled my account "Christmas 2012" and plan on put all the rewards/savings I can into it as well as tracking my progress on my blog. 

Next I did step 1 on IATL and signed up for SwagBucks.  After messing around with the site for a little while and getting my barrings I'm up to 62 (+23 pending) SwagBucks and plan on using her suggestion to rack up some Amazon.com egift cards.  A $5 card costs 450 points so if I can get one per month that's $60 towards my Christmas shopping next year - which I do A LOT of on Amazon.

I'll keep updates on my Christmas Cash 2012 account to keep me accountable from spending it early!

2 comments:

  1. Boo - I just went to sign up for the ING account - but since I already have an account with them - I won't get the $50!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh bummer! Thanks for letting us know it doesn't work for existing customers though!

    ReplyDelete